In the world of sim racing, technology constantly evolves to bring gamers closer to the authentic experience of driving. Among the recent advancements in this niche, Fanatec’s QR2 quick release system stands out. Offering a stronger, more stable, and efficient connection between steering wheels and wheel bases, it’s a significant enhancement to Fanatec’s ecosystem. Here’s everything you need to know about it.
What is QR2?
The QR2 is Fanatec’s latest quick release system, designed to secure steering wheels to their bases quickly and seamlessly. With roots in the 2022 BMW M4 GT3, it has been further refined for sim racing and future motorsport applications.
This new mechanism offers several improvements over its predecessor, the QR1. Firstly, it eradicates the need for retention bolts and locking nuts. Furthermore, its precision manufacturing minimizes mechanical noise during gameplay, ensuring a more immersive experience.
Why Upgrade to QR2?
Upgrading to the QR2 brings a slew of benefits:
- Strength & Stability: The new design ensures that the steering wheel fits snugly and securely.
- Improved Force Feedback: Expect a noticeable improvement in force feedback detail.
- Ease of Use: The QR2-equipped wheels attach seamlessly to the Fanatec Wheel Base, enabling faster set-up times.
- Enhanced Connection: The QR2 ensures a more secure electronic connection for both data and power.
- Professional-Grade Construction: The Pro version of QR2, CNC-machined from billet aluminium, meets FIA standards, bridging the gap between sim racing and actual racing.
The Transition to QR2
Fanatec is in the midst of a transitional phase, phasing out the QR1 system in favor of the superior QR2. This change affects the entire Fanatec range, from the CSL series to the high-end Podium products. It’s important to note that while the QR2 boasts a unique squared and tapered shape, many existing QR1 products can be upgraded.
For those keen on transitioning, Fanatec offers a range of upgrade options, tailored to various steering wheels and bases in their ecosystem. Whether you opt for the QR2 Pro Wheel-Side, made from aviation-grade billet aluminium, or the QR2 Lite Wheel-Side, designed for CSL steering wheels, there’s an upgrade pathway for every enthusiast.
A Smooth Upgrade Process
One of Fanatec’s focuses is user-friendliness. Upgrading to the QR2 is straightforward, with comprehensive guides available. And while there might be minor changes in the distance between the wheel base and steering wheel post-upgrade, these are trivial in light of the myriad benefits.
Compatibility & Legacy Support
Fanatec is ensuring that a majority of its products support the new QR2 system. However, certain legacy steering wheels and bases will remain incompatible. It’s essential to check the compatibility list before considering an upgrade.
The QR2 system by Fanatec is not merely an upgrade; it’s a revolution in the sim racing world. Bringing unparalleled strength, stability, and precision, it promises to elevate the gaming experience of enthusiasts worldwide. Whether you’re a casual gamer or a professional racer, transitioning to the QR2 system is a leap towards a more authentic, immersive driving experience.
QR2 Compatible and Non-Compatible Wheels
Steering Wheels that can be upgraded with QR2 Lite Wheel-Side or QR2 Wheel-Side/Pro Wheel-Side:
- CSL Universal Hub
- CSL Universal Hub V2
- CSL Elite Steering Wheel McLaren GT3
- CSL Elite Steering Wheel McLaren GT3 V2
- CSL Elite Steering Wheel WRC
- CSL Steering Wheel BMW
- CSL Steering Wheel P1 V2
- ClubSport Steering Wheel F1® Esports V2
Steering Wheels that can be upgraded with QR2 Wheel-Side/Pro Wheel-Side (QR2 Lite Wheel-Side not supported):
- ClubSport Steering Wheel F1® 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- ClubSport Steering Wheel F1® PS4 (from Podium Racing Wheel F1®)
- ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2 / V2.5 / V2.5 X
- ClubSport Steering Wheel BMW GT2 V2
- ClubSport Steering Wheel RS
- ClubSport Universal Hub V2
- ClubSport Universal Hub V2 for Xbox
- Podium Hub
- Podium Steering Wheel BMW M4 GT3
Wheel Bases that can be upgraded to QR2:
- Podium Wheel Base DD1
- Podium Wheel Base DD2
- Podium Racing Wheel F1®
- CSL DD
- Gran Turismo DD Pro
Legacy Steering Wheels not compatible with QR2:
- CSL Steering Wheel P1
- CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1
- Steering Wheel P1 from CSL Elite Racing Wheel PS4
- ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula Black
- ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula Carbon
- ClubSport Steering Wheel F1® Esports
- ClubSport Steering Wheel BMW GT2
- ClubSport Steering Wheel Porsche 918 RSR
- ClubSport Universal Hub
- ClubSport Universal Hub for Xbox One
Legacy Wheel Bases not compatible with QR2:
- CSL Elite Wheel Base
- CSL Elite Wheel Base V1.1
- CSL Elite Wheel Base +
- ClubSport Wheel Base
- ClubSport Wheel Base V2
- ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5